Friday 8 September 2006

Another visit to Edinburgh

 

 

A Wheatfield, with Cypresses by Vincent Van Gogh.

 

 

Since I last spoke to you I don't think I have had a minute to spare we have been so busy. Yesterday Stuart and I went back to Edinburgh to the Dean Gallery  (part of The National Gallery of Scotland) to see the Exhibition Van Gogh and Britain: Pioneer Collectors. This is the exhibit I told you about the last time we were in Edinburgh so we decided to go before it closes later in the month.  I am so glad we went even to me the untrained eye the paintings and the story behind them was fascinating. The art on show was all paintings collectors in Britain had collected before Van Gogh was famous.  Some of the paintings were bought for peanuts. The painting above was bought by The National Gallery  (The Tate) for £3300 in 1923. Many of the paintings were bought for far less.  It is such a sad story you read as you go round The Gallery.  I choose the above painting because it bounced out at you when you were approaching it. It was my particular favourite in this collection.  Stuart was in total awe and had a wonderful day.  It is a very popular event and there were many people there but we did not have to queue so we timed it just right as I think it will get busier now that there is only two weeks left. So if you can get to Edinburgh go along its the chance in a lifetime to see all those paintings together.
As we walked around I saw this quotation so I will leave you to ponder this......Vincent said to his brother Theo
"I can't help it if  no one will buy my paintings"

                                     Love
                                             Joan.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds a great exhibition

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the exhibition ~ Loved the picture in the Graphic ~ I watched a programme on TV not long back about Van Gogh and really enjoyed it ~ loved his brothers remark "I can't help it if no one will buy my paintings" If only he knew what they sell for today ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it to the Exhibition....love the Painting/Graphic.
Hope you enjoy the weekend

Aileen....X

Anonymous said...

glad you enjoyed the exhibition...have a great weekend

Astra!

Anonymous said...

I read about Van Gogh at school, he worked as a shop assistant in London, I think, for a while and accused the store of daylight robbery for the prices they charged! I liked the self portrait he did, it was made up of lots of stripey bits! Don't know how else to describe it! Glad you enjoyed the exhibition! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

How I envy you ,what a splendid day out Joan,I can imagine Stuarts delight at all that wealth of talent, all around you ,.,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Quite right, it does bounce out at you.  I prefer it to all those `hot' landscapes.  Mind you, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one of those !  Bunny.

Anonymous said...

Why would no-one buy his paintings??  ha ha...I love that one you've put in your entry - wish I could go and see the exhibit :-)  Glad you had a good time!!