Saturday 12 August 2006

Yet another Grand Day Out

                        

Good Afternoon, Yesterday being a windy day and not very good for sitting in the garden as it was a pit parky we set off for one of our famous runs in the car. they are only famous to us as we start of just going for a short run of maybe forty miles or so and end up going about one hundred miles but that us we love our beautiful countryside. First we visited Pitlochry where we had a wander and a bacon roll and a coffee of course.  The town was very busy with many tourist visiting from far and near, it is a very popular place with bus tour and hikers along with folk like ourselves out for the day.  It all seems so peaceful up here we are so lucky. While I was in Pitlochry I bought a new outdoor weatherproof coat in a lovely dusky pink I have outgrown my old one unfortunatly but this one is great I have room for a fleece inside if I need it so I will be Windproof Waterproof and breathable for the winter or so it says on the ticket.  BacK in the car and off we go again.  We decided to take a run to Shiehallion one of our high mountains and one which is quite accessable.  I have put up pictures for you but they are not great as the sun just would not shine for me it was a blinky sort of day. On the pictures of Schiellion you can just see where they have felled half of the forest and as we looked at it we were reminded of days gone by when the trees were young and the Black Grouse used to sit on the tops of the trees. One evening when we were there there must have been about fifty of these bird sitting up the trees we have never seen such a site again I just wish we could but Black Grouse are rare now and nobody seems to know why.  The area we were in is very special to us as we spent a lot of our courting days up here and later my parents had a caravan at Aberfeldy just a few miles from Shiehallion.  When we passed the field they used to have the caravan in it made me sad as they are no longer with us but we do have some great memories of the holiday we had with them.  The last pictures were taken on Loch Na Craig on the way home overlooking the hills but my camera just does not take good long shots will have to see if Santa will bring me a better one.  All in all we had a great day nothing special bird wise but the weather was fine and not too warm for in the car. Where to next .......we are thinking    Love

                                                               

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad to see the indigenous birds disappear and the countryside change. The pics are lovely, I especially liked #7. I've been to Aberfeldy, Pitlochry when I stayed at Blair Atholl. It's a beautiful area. Have a lovely weekend, I could use your new coat down here, it's blowing a gale and we have showers too! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day out ,and a new coat too   ;>) ,..........Jan x

Anonymous said...

I have a book on Pitlochry with lots of pictures in it as some of my ancestors came from there.  Sounds like a wonderful day out and I would love to be up there with you and see some of those wonderful views.  What a shame about the grouse.  Glad you got your new coat.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Joan Scotland has such beautiful scenery loved your pictures ~ Black Grouse how sad they are now rare and no one knows why ~must have been a lovely picture seeing them sitting on top of the trees ~  Glad you had a nice drive out ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Robbie says you are a pest, LOL!!! Made him homesick again, LOL! Plus you mentioned that word.....Pitlochry! Are we going to get to see the pink raincoat? Have you any recent pics of Queens View and the Tummel?  Love to you both, from Joan x

Anonymous said...

hi Joan...glad you had a great day out...have a great weekend!

Astra!

Anonymous said...

I've never liked Pitlochry for the very reasons you cite.............far too busy.
We used to have a caravan at Comrie.................. ;)as did my parents