Saturday 19 November 2005

A Continuation from the Summer.

I am going to test your memories this afternoon. Do you remember during the late summer I told you about the five young Blackbirds I had in my garden that were having great fun in a bath that I had put out for them as the weather was so dry.  They are still coming to our garden even this late in the year.  Usually young birds disperse and leave the territory for their parents but these young ones are still altogether and we still have five which I think is remarkable in itself with all the cats we have around here. The adult birds still come and try to get  in on the action but the young ones as I call them stand their ground. They have all learned to feed from the bird table as well as clearing up under it.  We also have Blue Tits, Great Tits, Dunnocks, Green Finches, Coal Tits Collared Doves Wood Pigeons and the sparrows, not so many now as there use to be as the common little sparrow is going through a hard time. Don't know if this item will be of interest or not but in this cold weather we have to spare a little thought for our feathered friends and a little water. 

        Did our food shopping today and boy did we take bad with it that's the first time we have been to Tesco's on a Saturday for almost a year we usually go on a Wednesday or Thursday but with all the happenings this week we had to go today and boy was it busy. Not the usual stroll round but a queue all the way. Hope we get back to our usual next week. Been gathering together all the ingredients for our Christmas Cake or what should I call it our Winter Cake doesn't sound the same some how as it will soon be time to fill the house with the lovely aroma of the cake baking in the oven one of my favourite smells. Well I think that about it for today hope you all enjoy your day evening wither its the X Factor or Strictly Come Dancing enjoy.  Love and take care,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Joan,Our Blackbirds seem to have disappeared.....plenty of the others still about...And yes they need food and water especially this time of the year....I enjoy feeding them as I know you do...They give such pleasure just watching them...
Saturday is a mad day to go shopping, Lucky if you can find a place to park..have been going to Sainsburys late Friday's and it seems much calmer in there - perhaps because the aisles are nice and wide. and more spacious.
Strictly come dancing is my viewing for to-night - havn't watched X-Factor so can't comment on that one..
Have a loveley rest of Saturday....Ally

Anonymous said...

Recording x-factor and casualty....can't miss them so have set both videos for both just in case!!!! Didn't you know it is Christmas next week? Thats why everywhere is manic.....it is like that here as well!

Anonymous said...

Yes thats a good tip water for our feathered friends,along with some thing tasty to peck on ,Iwent to local Rainbow just up the road ,,was manic there too ,it will be strictly come dancing and Casualty for me tonight .....................Jan xx

Anonymous said...

For me it is Strictly Come Dancing.  How wonderful about the baby Blackbirds.  We always feed the birds in the winter and we have noticed an increase in sparrows probably because we have quite a few feeders.  These very cold frosty nights must be hard on them so we never forget to feed them.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

X Factor for me, and definately Christmas cake, not Winter cake!!
He he ;o)
Your garden sounds like the place to be for birds of all kinds!!
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

That's lovely to hear about the birds.  I love watching the little ones eating from the feeder one of the other flats have.  They are so cute!!  Ugh I hate shopping at the weekends.  I usually go on a friday but I had to go on Sunday and it was so busy!!