Thursday 3 November 2005

For the first time since I started my journal back at the end of July I have no idea what I am going to say today.  I have been trying to think of something interesting all morning while I was doing my chores. After lunch I came up here still none the wiser and played Mahjong for a while the only thing I can think of other than telling you it is a horrible day  is to tell you a bit about me.

    I was born on the 2nd of December 1942 only child to John and Alice.  Mum and Dad as I have told you before had a motor bike and sidecar and once the war was over and Dad was back home again( he had ben in North Africa and Italy with the 8th Army) we started going away every Sunday for a run.  We travelled all over Scotland and hardly ever missed a week.. Holidays were the same away hosteling or camping.  We went abroad twice once to Paris and once to Switerland. It was a great way to spend your childhood seeing all the different places.  My Mum and Dad were both in the Jute trade Mum was a weaver and Dad was in managment.Dundee was full of Jute Mills when I was a child but now I don't think there are any left. Sad.  I left school a 15 and started work in Januart 1958 as a apprentice bookbinder and met Stu on my first day but that was not the start of the romance as I was  tiny 15 year old and he was 18 and all grown up,little did he know but I did. The following January I arrived for work one morning to find the works had burnt down. I then made my first move and went to work as a window dresser which I quite liked, more than the  print shop but was upset as Stu was not longer in my life at all.We were just talking last night about wages when I worked in the printers I was earning the grand sum of £2-17-6d per week for working 43hrs per week or in todays money £2-85 oh dear how did we manage. After a number of badly paid jobs I went to work in Timex and was earning a lot more  there. I had not long starded there when I met up with Stu again at a cycling club dance funny it was at a Paul Jones and that was it, we started dating as they call it now. Well I think I will stop now and maybe continue another day if you are interested.  Bye for now.

                                              

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get days like that, especially when I have a cold like at the moment....I might take a leaf from your book and do a similar entry, mind you brain still cotton wolly so not sure what it will look like!!!!

Anonymous said...

Joan I enjoyed learning more about you - and the things you have done in your life.....and yes very interesting.....Ally

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry today Young Lady !!!I was born Feb 20  1941,Ienjoyed that yes please more more !!Iearned a similar amount and had to pay train fare and my board !!!.............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I never have very much to say ;o)
Very interesting entry today Joan, I love the fact that you and your Stu have known each other from such a young age.  
Would love to hear more.
Sara   x